Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Trash Bashing a Dralasite Observation Speeder

The Dralasite observation speeder, "Poogie's Punchline".
Shown are crew-members Poogie, Drizzyl, and Hamook.
Thanks to James Hall for his "Barrels and Bottle-tops" challenge on the Trash Bash Bits Facebook page. The challenge was to use the standard barrel shape created by gluing two bottle caps together in a new and interesting way.





My entry is a Dralasite Observation Speeder, a fast, long-range flyer designed to explore a planet's surface and to be able to out-run anything that might want to do it harm.

After first building the engines out of several types of caps, I then found a broken kitchen timer to use as the hull. The rest just developed organically as I glued stuff together.



I wish I would have had more time to add more detail to this and for a better paint-job but sometimes speed is of the essence.

The metal bits on the back are from Jeff Wilhelm at Dragon Forge Design:
The Kotobukiya Option Parts are available from Hobby Link Japan:
http://hlj.com/product/KBYP-115R/Sci

15 comments:

  1. Amazing work, great model building and you've totally inspired me. I must not horde too much trash though.... Signing up for that facebook page too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a small apartment helps to keep my trash horde down but sometimes a part is just so cool I have to keep it. You know, for that one perfect project. :)

      Delete
  2. This is the bomb! Those "pouch caps" are really cool too! They exhibit a very "engine cowling" shape don't they :)

    Oh, and I'm most pleased that you've given a run down of the donor bits used too....much appreciated intel for fellow kitbashers :)

    Cheers Brian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy! I'm always happy when other modelers find some small inspiration in the stuff that I make.

      Delete
  3. Lovely, its always great to find engine parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Engines are always useful and I'm really happy how these turned out. The yogurt and applesauce caps are perfectly made for trash bashing.

      Delete
  4. Always love a great trash bash! The picture identifying all the parts is great too (even if it takes a bit of the fun away!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The break-down was requested on the Trash Bash Facebook group. I'm just following orders! :)

      Delete
  5. That is fantastic! Even more so once you see where all the bits came from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :O When I saw the first pic I just said 'where can I buy that kit?'
    Absolutely marvellous work, sir!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of it can be found at your grocery store and dollar store! Thank you for your compliments.

      Delete